Saturday 9 May 2009

Sweet Talking Guy

Someone said something this week which got me thinking about brazen hussies. Especially after reading an article in The Observer by gardening heartthrob Dan Pearson in which he recommends the use of RoundUp, rather than using the generic name glyphosate.

Monsanto's patent on glyphosate ran out in 2001, since when many own-brand versions of the product have been available from the likes of Wilkos and B&Q at a much cheaper price than RoundUp, so there really is no need for gardeners to buy it or for gardening writers to recommend it.

I've no objection to people using glyphosate, I use it myself in the course of my work when absolutely necessary. Nor do I object to gardening writers plugging products even when they're blatant about it, so at least we know where they stand. But pimping RoundUp is crossing a line. I'd expect this kind of corporate product placement from the likes of right-wing hack Helen Yemm but hardly from our Dan.

In case you've been living under a stone for the last twenty years you'll be aware that RoundUp is made by Monsanto, the firm behind ninety per cent of the worlds GM crops, most of which have been engineered to withstand the application of RoundUp. They were also the makers of Agent Orange, the defoliant used by the Americans in Vietnam. Amongst many other corporate crimes they are also responsible for thousands of suicides amongst farmers in India and the destruction of their landbase. So as well as destroying the livelihoods of small farmers around the world and attacking and mutating the environment, they also quite literally have blood on their hands.

I realise your man is popular with the ladies. I can forgive him his poster boy looks and plummy voice. But not this. I emailed him a week ago to point out to him the error of his ways but so far he hasn't deigned to send me a reply. So, for being Monsanto's slut Master Pearson, consider yourself named and shamed. You brazen hussy you.

***You can find out how to help combat Monsanto here and see Marie-Monique Robin's excellent documentary "The World According To Monsanto" on YouTube here.

2 comments:

Permapoesis said...

an amazing film! perhaps monbiot and pearson shld stage a debate: "to monsanto or not to monsanto".

i know emphatically who's team i'm on.

you garden's looking great!

love from oz

Simon said...

Me too and thanks!

Btw thanks for introducing me to derrick jenson. Just finishing Endgame - made me realise how complacent I'd been getting.