Sunday 2 May 2010

Mixing it up

The second of my wildflower areas was to have been the cornfield mix that I sowed in pots a few weeks ago. But I had second thoughts about that. The sub-title on the seed packet gave me a clue: farmers nightmare. So rather than planting them out on the main part of the plot I've put them down at the bottom amongst the horseradish and roses. If they do seed around and start making a nuisance of themselves it won't matter so much down there:



So I made up another mix of wild and not-so-wild seeds, some bought and some saved: sunflowers, love-in-a-mist, rose campion, jacob's ladder, shirley poppy, flax, white campion, field poppy and phacelia. Not surprisingly I've called this one Simon's Mix. Like the meadow mix I sowed last week I mixed up the seeds with soft sand before broadcasting it:

No comments: